One thing about Belcalis Almanzar she’s going to keep it a stack! The Bronx-bred rap superstar recently became the face of Old Navy’s Fall “Most Wanted Denim” campaign, and she couldn’t be more happier about the successful launch.
Taking to Instagram Live to celebrate, the Grammy winner kept it 1000% real about her chaotic past with the brand, laughing about how she used to boost from the store back in her high school days.
<blockquote>“I just want to say thank you Old Navy for holding me down in high school,” Cardi told her millions of followers during the live stream. “You know I used to steal from you guys all the time, so it’s just such a full-circle moment that like I’m an ambassador for Old Navy! Now I used to steal all the time and I never got caught! And like… if it wasn’t for you guys, I probably wouldn’t be the freshest b*tch in school because I was the freshest b*tch. I was stealing all the motherfing cardigans from motherfing Old Navy, b*tch! And then, look at God! Look at God!”</blockquote>
Beyond the hilarious confession, Cardi also addressed the internet critics who had the nerve to question why a superstar who rocks high-end designer labels would be partnering with a budget-friendly retail giant. In true Cardi fashion, she broke down the very real struggle of finding designer denim that actually fits a curvy, BBL physique, proving that standard high fashion brands simply aren’t built for every shape.
<blockquote>“Y’all need to understand, right? Like a BBL b—h… BBL b—s, it is so hard for us to find jeans,” Cardi explained to the chat. “Like Chanels and stuff like that, we can’t wear those type of jeans. The only high brand, big brand that like it kind of fit our body sometimes is Acne Studios. Other than that, like it’s like… look at all my jeans, b*tch! I always used to say like, I get it from… you know, like Old Navy, Gap, Fashion Nova and sh*t like that because… this the type of body I have, right? I’m 5’3″ and I’m skinny.”</blockquote>
She continued, “I got no waist, but my ass and hips is the size of Uganda. They don’t make jeans for a bitch like me… except for Old Navy! And I could prove it to you!”
While she’s busy collecting her bag and making sure the fashion world accommodates her real body shape, Cardi also reminded fans that she’s a mom first who needs practical, everyday fits when she’s stepping out for school events and family functions. She shut down any narrative that she only dresses in super tight, dramatic outfits 24/7, explaining that stepping into mom-mode requires a completely different wardrobe.
<blockquote>“Actually I do,” Cardi fired back at a commenter claiming she doesn’t wear everyday casual clothes. “I am a mother, and I go to my kids’ event. I’m already… I’m already different from the other parents, you know what I’m saying? Like, I’m already different from the other parents, so I like to cover myself up. I don’t like wearing super, super tight shit where my a** is like… they already be shook, honey! They already be like, ‘Oh god, look at this b*tch.’ I don’t ever want… I don’t like doing that to my kids. I don’t like having too much attention when I go to my kids’ events, so I do dress like this! And there’s pictures of me dressed like this!”</blockquote>
<h2>More On The Campaign:</h2>
The “Most Wanted Denim” campaign has been a massive hit with consumers, instantly turning Old Navy’s budget-friendly, $22 jeans into a viral sensation that fans are calling a “luxury drop”.
Within just 24 hours of dropping on social media, the promo video racked up over 3 million views and nearly 100,000 likes on Instagram alone, with shoppers crediting Cardi for making the brand cool again.
Socialites, have you copied a pair of jeans?